Answering the Call.
Setting the Foundation.
Building a Legacy.
For more historic photographs of the Kingsley Association, visit University of Pittsburgh’s Historic Image Collection.
The Kingsley Association was first named Kingsley House, a settlement house founded in 1893. As a result of the industrial revolution, immigrant workers bound to the mills and factories found themselves poor and in tremendous need. These conditions precipitated a movement of human service and social reform lead by privileged university graduates. Leaders of the reform movement, living in the community, organized social, educational, and recreational programs. These individuals believed that partnership with the community as an equal participant, sharing its issues and concerns, would bring solutions to the new problems of urban life, a way of operating that the Kingsley Association of today strives to maintain.
The Kingsley House was and continues to host an abundance of cultural, educational, and social programming. The House was so successful, that in 1900 it became necessary to expand. It was then that H.C. Frick gifted the Montooth Mansion at Bedford and Fullerton, in Pittsburgh’s Hill District, to the Kingsley House Association. Growth continued, and in 1917 the Kingsley House Association became the Kingsley Association. Based on the results of a study conducted by University of Pittsburgh, Kingsley determined to move from the Hill District in the winter of 1917. Kingsley moved to the Larimer community in Pittsburgh’s East End following completion of the Kingsley House facility in 1923, and has been located in the East End ever since. In 2004 The Kingsley Association moved to its current location on Frankstown Avenue – today, we still provide the community with quality programming for individuals, families and youth, carrying on the long tradition of community based human service and social reform.